[NHCOLL-L:5018] Labeling rocks and fossils

Pellegrini, Rodrigo Rodrigo.Pellegrini at sos.state.nj.us
Fri Oct 22 15:10:32 EDT 2010

Dear colleagues,

My museum has used a water-based correction fluid as a base layer to label catalog numbers onto our rock and fossil collections for many years (and later coated said number with nail polish). I'm well aware that such labeling is not the best practice for most other collections, but it is still generally accepted for rocks and fossils as far as I know (something akin being described as such in "The New Museum Registration Methods," Buck and Gilmore, Eds.)

I haven't heard of anything new on the subject, but was curious what those of you that have geological collections under your care use.
I'm quite frankly tired of rehydrating dried-up correction fluid bottles that were never opened, and feel something like acrylic-based white paint might be better.

Any ideas? Suggestions? Info I should be aware of? I would much appreciate any help and to hear your thoughts and experiences on this topic.

Best wishes,

Rod

Rodrigo Pellegrini, MA, MS
Registrar, Natural History Bureau