[NHCOLL-L:5019] RE: Labeling rocks and fossils

Opitz, Cindy cindy-opitz at uiowa.edu
Fri Oct 22 16:47:23 EDT 2010

We use the following for object marking, which is widely available (here from Talas, but also from Gaylord, University Products, Northern States Conservation Center, etc).

"Paraloid B-72 Lacquer
Archival Storage  >  Tags and Labeling Supplies

The current choice by museums for labeling and cataloging collections. Used as a removable base coat on an object to protect it from writing directly on the object itself. This lacquer is a 25% solution of paraloid (acryloid) B-72 in acetone, the opaque being tinted white with titanium dioxide.

1.25 oz. wide mouth jars, with brush in cap applicator.

Clear is used for the labeling of light colored objects. Opaque for the labeling of dark colored objects.

An appropriate pen to use is our Pigma Pen which is acid free.
Related Information: Click here for instructions.

  	Item 	Description 	Price	Quantity
  	TPD017001 	Clear 	$ 7.75
  	TPD017002 	Opaque (white) 	$ 7.75"

Cindy Opitz
Collections Manager
Pentacrest Museums: Museum of Natural History
and Old Capitol Museum
11 Macbride Hall
The University of Iowa
Iowa City IA 52242