[NHCOLL-L:5021] RE: Labeling rocks and fossils

Demouthe, Jean JDemouthe at calacademy.org
Fri Oct 22 18:31:55 EDT 2010

White-out and similar compounds are unacceptable on any type of specimen.  Most will either become brittle and flaky with age, and some will react with the specimen, even if covered with clear varnish.

Just because geologic specimens are often sturdier and appear to be less chemically sensitive than biological materials, there is no reason to use substandard collection materials in their labeling and conservation.

I suggest you look at Segal, T. 1998.  Marking in The New Registration Methods, R.A. Buck & J.A. Gilmore, eds.  Pages 65-93.  American Association of Museums, publishers.

There is a list of barrier materials for base coats in Table 4 (page 89).  For geological specimens, most people use either B72 acryloid or PVA (polyvinyl acetate).

Jean DeMouthe

Dr. Jean F. DeMouthe

Senior Collections Manager for Geology

California Academy of Sciences

55 Music Concourse Drive, Golden Gate Park

San Francisco, California 94118

jdemouthe at calacademy.org

(415) 379-5258