[NHCOLL-L:5377] IPM protocols for large incoming materials

Janet Waddington janetw at rom.on.ca
Thu Apr 14 16:12:20 EDT 2011

As part of our IPM protocols, we are in the process of developing a written protocol for handling all incoming materials with a view to controlling museum pests, and avoiding the potential spread of invasive species, and potential occupational exposure to mould or other hazardous substances or known or unknown pesticides applied to the shipment. This will include shipping crates, packing materials, and contents, which may be collections or field gear, items for sale in the shops, equipment, etc.

We would be interested in hearing from anyone who has written protocols for handling and inspecting large potentially contaminated crates and other items.  We have a small intake/quarantine room, and a freezer/heat treatment chamber, plus anoxic fumigation capabilty.   We are trying to make a compelling argument for funding of necessary facilities.

Thanks!

Janet Waddington
Assistant Curator and Collection Manager
Department of Natural History - Palaeobiology
Royal Ontario Museum
100 Queen's Park
Toronto, ON
Canada M5S 2C6
Phone  (416) 586-5593  Fax  (416) 586-5553
Email  janetw at rom.on.ca