[NHCOLL-L:5608] Fwd: FW: Rehydration of a sea anemone

Couteaufin at aol.com Couteaufin at aol.com
Sun Aug 21 07:01:05 EDT 2011

From:  Couteaufin at aol.com
To: dlauretta at gmail.com
CC: simmons.johne at gmail.com,  abentley at ku.edu, nitellopsis at googlemail.com
Sent: 21/08/2011 12:00:02 GMT  Daylight Time
Subj: Re: [NHCOLL-L:5600] FW: Rehydration of a sea  anemone

Hi Daniel,

Andy forwarded your enquiry to me.  Say hello to Daphne Fautin, she  may
remember me from the days when I worked in the coelenterate section at the
NHM in London (early 1980s).

Alway rather ticklish when you have the holotype to perform such a  radical
treatment!
Bear in mind also that rehydration will improve the appearance and  texture
but it will compromise future DNA extraction/readings.  If you  need
further advice on this let me know.
I have also forwarded this to John Simmons who may also have some  comments.

I tend to use Decon-90 at around 3 to 5% in deionised water as a
rehydrating agent.
The reaction is catalysed by warming it to no more than 50 deg.  Centigrade
(hotplate) and make sure that the container has a loose lid to  prevent
massive evaporation during warming.
Obviously photograph and weigh the specimen prior to treatment.
Start the process first thing as it can take some time and so that you  can
monitor its progress during the day.
The fluid will start to yellow a bit and may smell rather fishy; the
specimen will gradually sink into the fluid - this will only happen in an  ideal
situation, so if the specimen has expanded and feels soft and more  flexible
like it should if not dry, then it will have reached its  'end-point'.  If
it's still floating then it will have air trapped  inside.

In which case.... place the specimen in clean water and place the
container inside a vacuum desiccator.  Apply a mild vacuum to it and air  should
bubble out of the specimen.  After no more than a minute, stop the  pump
(making sure that the hose is removed from the desiccator and that the  tap is
closed before the pump is switched off - or it will  suck the oil from the pump
all over the specimen!!)
Then release the vacuum slowly and the anemone should sink completely or
partly.  Repeat the process until no more air bubbles out.  Small  amounts of
trapped air will often slowly diffuse out later in the alcohol
preservative (see below).
You should now have a fully rehydrated specimen.  Place into  formalin to
refix overnight and next day start to transfer into an alcohol  dehydration
ladder so that by the end of the day, the specimen is preserved in  IMS once
again.  Ensure that the jar seal is good!  Finally, make a  note of the
treament for the specimen's record and reweigh the specimen,  having drained off
excess fluid and re-photo.

That should hopefully be it!

With all  good wishes, Simon

Simon Moore MIScT, FLS, ACR,