[NHCOLL-L:5497] RE: Proscope v. MiScope?

O'Brien, Mark mfobrien at umich.edu
Tue Jun 14 09:08:49 EDT 2011

While I have not used the precise devices that are linked to, my observation is that they all offer a low-cost solution PROVIDED that you don't mind the fact that the actual pixel count is nowhere near as good as that offered by a conventional DSLR.  With a camera like a Nikon D90 and extension tunes with a 60mm micro-Nikkor lens, one can easily go 2x life size, uncropped.  Cropping the images of a 12 megapixel file, will still give excellent resolution for many applications.   Some of these cameras advertised are not better than VGA (640x480 pixels), and you can't enlarge those images.  A 1.2 MP camera is still pretty low-res, too.  However, it all depends on your expectations and eventual usage of the images.  They are great playthings, teaching tools, and useful adjuncts, but do not necessarily offer a "magic bullet" for anyone seeking high-quality macro photography.

Mark

Mark F. O'Brien, Collection Manager
Insect Division, Museum of Zoology
The University of Michigan