[NHCOLL-L:5498] RE: Proscope v. MiScope?

Burkhalter, Roger J. rjb at ou.edu
Tue Jun 14 10:18:10 EDT 2011

These would probably be fine for documenting insect damage, quick pest identification, etc., but as Mark points out, they do not have the resolution for publication, specimen documentation, or research. Modern DSLR's, even some of the lower-end ones, offer much higher pixel counts and can be used for other functions with the proper lenses and accessories. Many of these, particularly the Nikon and Canon brands, offer backwards compatibility with film lenses and accessories that many museums have already invested resources.

Roger

Roger J Burkhalter

Collection Manager

Department of Invertebrate Paleontology

Division of Collections and Research

Sam Noble Oklahoma Museum of Natural History University of Oklahoma

2401 Chautauqua

Norman, OK 73072

Phone: 405-325-1097

Fax: 405-325-7699