[NHCOLL-L:5525] Display tank for fluid-preserved fish specimens?

Laura Abraczinskas abraczi1 at msu.edu
Mon Jun 27 16:55:17 EDT 2011

Greetings,

I am looking for information on a sealable glass tank that would be safe for
exhibiting a fluid-preserved fish specimen.    We are looking into
displaying one of our fish (in 70% Ethanol) for about 8 weeks in a public
gallery.  The exhibit group desires a clear container that is 10 gallon size
or smaller with flat sides.  One that resembles a rectangular-fronted
tropical fish tank would be great.

We are restricted to this maximum amount of flammable liquid in an exhibit
by our campus safety office and the fire marshal.  The exhibit group does
not want to use a fluid-preserved specimen jar (i.e. large glass jar with
screw top polyethylene lid) for this.

Any information on suppliers, products, retrofits, or "lessons learned"
pertaining to this type of display would be appreciated.  Feel free to reply
to me directly and not to the entire list.

Many thanks!
Laura

Laura Abraczinskas, Collections Manager
Vertebrate Collections