[NHCOLL-L:5527] Re: Display tank for fluid-preserved fish specimens?

Couteaufin at aol.com Couteaufin at aol.com
Mon Jun 27 18:11:09 EDT 2011

Hi Laura,

Have you considered using a PFP instead?  (Post fixation  preservative)
This would involve the use of propylene glycol and propylene  phenoxetol - no
evaporation problems, no toxicity and no flammability.  If  the specimen is
to be preserved for only 8 weeks this might be an easier option  - if so,
then the specimen would need to be hydrated down a ladder to water  before
preservation and then reversed back up to preserving alcohol strength  again
before storage.

If this might work for you, let me know and I can supply a formula for the
preservative.

Alternatively you would have to find a tank with a well-fitting lid and
seal with silicone-based sealant.  This can be reversed with Silstrip or
similar silicone reversing agent but these can be expensive.

With all good  wishes, Simon

Simon Moore MIScT, FLS, ACR,
Conservator of Natural  Sciences,

_www.natural-history-conservation.com_