[NHCOLL-L:5331] MuseumSOS electronic forum

Lisa Elkin lelkin at amnh.org
Wed Mar 16 15:46:28 EDT 2011

As we are reminded during the recent events in Japan, disasters can strike at any time, any place. Our hearts go out to all who are dealing with the aftermath of this tragic event.

Training, planning and understanding risks and vulnerabilities is the best front-line defense in protecting our collections from the impact of such events.

MuseumSOS is an electronic forum focused on disaster preparedness, emergency response, risk management, and business continuity in the collections holding and/or cultural heritage sector. The content is meant to highlight challenges faced by individuals responsible for museums, historic houses, historic sites, botanical gardens, zoos, etc. in better understanding the risks faced by their collections and in preparing for or dealing with the aftermath of a small, moderate or large-scale event.

Specific subject matter could include (but is not limited to) suggestions and tools for developing business continuity, disaster preparedness and emergency response plans, methods and tools for evaluating and analyzing risks to collections, methods for mitigating risks, training programs available in these areas, and most critically, calls for assistance. Both theoretical and practical discussions are appropriate.

MuseumSOS is endorsed by the American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works and by Heritage Preservation.

To join the list, please email museumsos at amnh.org.

Lisa Kronthal Elkin
Director, Natural Science Collections Conservation
American Museum of Natural History
212.313.7035