[NHCOLL-L:5410] Re: [PERMIT-L] Sending specimens to China

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Fri May 6 13:15:25 EDT 2011

>She specifically wanted to know what sort of materials these are and
>which countries have been requesting such paperwork.  I have only
>come across two - China and Brazil.  Has anyone else had such
>paperwork requested from other countries?  If so, please let me know
>so that I can forward on a detailed description to her.

We have had vials of ethanol-preserved millipede specimens sent to
Italy held up by inspectors there who insisted upon veterinary
certification declaring the material to be disease-free; it took
nearly two months before they released the material. Colleagues have
had similar problems sending material to Germany, and IIRC it was
mentioned some time back on one of these two mailing lists that there
were new regulations for all the E.U. countries requiring veterinary
certification for any shipments of animal material, but that
enforcement of these regulations was unpredictable.

Another colleague once suggested to me that we collectively boycott
all countries that apply veterinary regulations to scientific
specimens, but this obviously would never work; the regulating
agencies are not going to listen to a handful of museum scientists
when they perceive these rules to be essential to protect their
agricultural industry (and even if they could be persuaded, we're
talking about several years to make any changes - in the meanwhile,
research grinds to a halt). If, as Ellen says, someone is making
money off the issuance of permits, that reduces the likelihood of
being granted exemption even more. I personally have a hard time
imagining any reasonable long-term solution short of a global
international treaty (rather than one country at a time) in
conjunction with some sort of certification of qualified research
institutions (to prevent abuse of the system by poachers, etc.).

Peace,