[NHCOLL-L:5429] FW: new case, way to go

Mary Beth Prondzinski mprondzinski at fairbanksmuseum.org
Fri May 13 09:46:53 EDT 2011

Mary Beth

Congrats on the new case!  I assume this is going in the basement for the
arctic insects?  I've been wrestling with some big-ass botany cases here
recently and have been thinking along the lines of case placement anyway.
So here go some ideas, random order as usual.  Bolting or otherwise
attaching a case to floor, wall or adjoining cases is often necessary for
safety or earthquake requirements but severely limits you on the ability to
put shims under any individual case to make doors and drawers easier to use
should the floor be uneven.  And, in the event of water on the floor makes
it difficult to lift one or more cases easily to dry underneath.  We've had
metal cases rust underneath just from excess mop water from sloppy
custodians.  And you're correct in that punching holes in the sides, bottom,
back does compromise the integrity of the case.  What I'd suggest is an
attachment to the floor with adjustable legs reaching up to an angle-iron
framework that would surround the base of the case.  I think it could be
done with simple plumbing fixtures.  A threaded flange attached to the
floor.  The threaded pipe would be the height adjustment.  Another flange on
the angle-iron to receive the pipe.  Once this is leveled the case can be
added to the top of the angle-iron frame.  Any shimming necessary could be
done between the angle-iron and the case.  This would also leave space
underneath for cleaning, etc.  A restraining device could be made for the
top of the case that would be detachable if the case needed to be moved.  It
could be a simple strap around the top or another angle-iron frame.

My best to all!

TEL

  _____

No virus found in this message.