[NHCOLL-L:5722] Re: CryoTubes

Dirk Neumann Dirk.Neumann at zsm.mwn.de
Thu Nov 3 05:58:20 EDT 2011

Dear Gabriela, Bryan

we had similar problems with TPP-brand Cryo vials, which resulted in up
to 100 % evaporation losses before arriving in the field ... (maily
related to underpressure conditions in smaller aircraft enrout to the
final sampling locations). We did then compare several Cyrotubes
(O-Rings vs. no O-Ring, internally vs. externally threaded, the whole
variety) by measuring evaporation losses of ethanol tubes (2 ml standard
volume in each vial, stored for three weeks in 56°C warm water bath).
Results were devastating, except (surprisingly) for common Eppendorf
safe lock tubes (!) and NUNC storage vials (cat. no 264300).
http://www.nuncbrand.com/us/page.aspx?ID=267.

Because of higher evaporation pressure at room temperature, it is not
surprising that your results indicate higher losses in vials kept at
room temperature compared to vials stored frozen. You should also
consider that ethanol below 80 % volume evaporates as pure ethanol,
leaving more residual water in your vial. In combination with the water
coming from the included tissues/samples, the drop of the absolute
ethanol concentration  might be even more critical then the actual
evaporation loss itself (= general loss of fluid level).

Some CryoTubes seem to require deep freezing (-80°C) for hermetical
closure depending on technical tolerances required for the lids when
kept frozen at -80°C (corresponding shrinkage of tubes and vials);
therefore, _Cryo_Tubes should not be your first choice for field
sampling or storage at room temperature.

We found that Nunc Storage vials work perfectly in  the field (up to +
40° C, underpressure conditions) and in our deep freeze chambers (-25°C;
which is sufficient for tissue storage). For storage vials (cat. no
264300), NUNC guarantees temperatures down to -40 °C. One advantage of
these vials is that they do not have O-Rings (which may over time
crumble apart as not all O-rings are made from silicone but sometimes
from a mixture of different plastics which include softeners). Vials and
caps are made from HDPE and LDPE respectively, and therefore should be
inert for leaching polymers or softeners.

After replacing some 6000 cheap apex tubes (majority with miserable
O-Ring caps) we decided to invest some more bugs in high quality tubes
while saving working ours for monitoring & replacement. Sadly, we first
replaced with high quality Cyrotubes with the already indicated results ....

For DNA-storage (-80 °C), we use Thermofisher 2D barcoded V-bottom tubes
(cat. no 3792MTX).
see
http://thermoscientific.com/ecomm/servlet/productsdetail_11152_L10857_80494_12811553_-1
but with different vials in matrix racks; cat. no 3792MTX is not
displayed for any reseason on the Thermofisher hompage, but racks are
available under this cat. no.

Some further reading in
http://www.abctaxa.be/volumes/volume-8-manual-atbi/volumes/volume-8-manual-atbi/chapter-22/chapter_22.pdf
(free access)

Dirk

--
Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Labor
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Lab
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/