[NHCOLL-L:5708] proper bear rug handling and storage

Kirsten Nicholson norops at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 14:39:55 EDT 2011

We have several grizzly bear rugs with heads (pretty heavy, too, those
heads) that we need to store and are trying to determine the best way to
store them.  With "usual" textiles you roll them on rods of appropriate
diameters and if possible have a cabinet or way of hanging the rod, or if
not, place the rolled item on a shelf. Does anyone have advice on how to
store bear rugs with heads?  We've got several ideas based upon trying not
to crease the rug, but all advice is very warmly received.

For anyone wanting more info, each rug is backed with heavy canvas cloth,
and most have rungs on one side (so *could* be hung, but we're reluctant to
do that do to space and also the possibility of the heavy heads pulling on
the bear skin and backing).  They are all in good condition despite being
quite old (nearly 100 years!).

Thanks again for any advice,

Kirsten

--