[NHCOLL-L:5710] Re: proper bear rug handling and storage

Cahawks cahawks at aol.com
Mon Oct 31 07:41:53 EDT 2011

Hi Kirsten

Lay the rug out flat with the hair side down. Fold the tail in toward the center, then fold in each leg.  Gently fold from the tail end so that you end up with the head on the top of the pile.

If the feet have claws, cover them with Tyvek booties so that they do not damage the skin. Also, it is best to pad each fold (tail, legs, folds in skin) with rolls of Volara Type A foam.

Cathy
Catharine Hawks
Conservator
Research & Collections, NHB 394
National Museum of Natural History, MRC 106
Smithsonian Institution
PO Box 37012
Washington, DC 20013-7012
Office 202.633.0835