[Nhcoll-l] Project Passenger Pigeon

Steve Sullivan ssullivan at naturemuseum.org
Mon Jul 9 10:44:27 EDT 2012

Dear Natural History and Museum Colleagues,

2014 is the centenary of the extinction of the passenger pigeon.  Project
Passenger Pigeon is an international effort to use this occasion to
familiarize people with the story of the Passenger Pigeon and to then use
that compelling story as a portal into consideration of current issues
related to extinction and sustainability. So far over 150 organizations are
involved with major exhibits being planned in Chicago, Cambridge, New Haven,
Columbus, East Lansing, and other cities. This is not merely the retelling
of extraordinary historical events, but also an examination of the present
and future: an effort to motivate people to explore connections between
humans and the natural world, and to inspire them to become active in
conservation and the promotion of biodiversity.

We hope that you and your institution will participate in 2014.  Our web
site is http://passengerpigeon.org/ and you can like us on Facebook at
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Project-Passenger-Pigeon/417970044904114

Sorry if you got this note from multiple listservs-we're trying to spread
the word!

--Steve

Steven M. Sullivan  |  Senior Curator of Urban Ecology

The Chicago Academy of Sciences and its Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum

Museum|2430 North Cannon Drive|Chicago Illinois 60614|
<http://www.naturemuseum.org/> naturemuseum.org

Collections|4001 North Ravenswood Ave.|Chicago Illinois 60613|
<http://projectsquirrel.org/> projectsquirrel.org

P 708-937-6253 | F 773-755-5199 | ssullivan at naturemuseum.org

The Urban Gateway to Nature and Science