[Nhcoll-l] Fwd: Libraries and Museums in an Era of Participatory Culture

CAHawks at aol.com CAHawks at aol.com
Fri Jun 1 17:03:56 EDT 2012

Catharine  Hawks
Conservator, NMNH
(h) 703.876.9176
(o) 202.633.0835
mobile  703.200.4370
mobile 202.701.8458

____________________________________
 From: IMLSNews at IMLS.GOV
To: IMLSNews at IMLS.GOV
Sent: 6/1/2012 3:24:58  P.M. Eastern Daylight Time
Subj: Libraries and Museums in an Era of  Participatory Culture

Dear Colleague,
Recently, the Salzburg Global Seminar and the Institute of  Museum and
Library Services convened a conference entitled “Libraries and  Museums in an
Era of Participatory Culture.” The session plunged fifty-eight  library,
museum, and cultural heritage leaders from thirty-one countries  around the world
into discussion, debate, and the development of a series of  practical
recommendations for ensuring maximum access to and engagement in  museums and
libraries, as they examined the meaning of “participatory culture”  writ
large.
Given your interest in these issues, we want to take this  opportunity to
share with you some of the thinking that took place in  Salzburg. The
conference report is available for download at
_www.imls.gov/assets/1/AssetManager/SGS_Report_2012.pdf_
(http://www.imls.gov/assets/1/AssetManager/SGS_Report_2012.pdf) .  As you will read in the report, accepting the notion of
democratic access,  placing a major emphasis on public value and impact, and
embracing lifelong  learning were “imperatives for the future” that emerged from
the deliberations  (please see page 30 of the report for a list of key
messages from the  seminar). Additional session resources can also be found at:
_www.salzburgglobal.org/go/482wrapup_
(http://www.salzburgglobal.org/go/482wrapup) .  Please feel free to share these materials with colleagues.
We welcome your comments and reactions to this report and  its
recommendations. As a result of this session, we are also exploring ways  to continue
and deepen our work in this area and would welcome your thoughts  in this
regard. The directors of this session, Susanna Seidl-Fox, Salzburg  Global
Seminar, and Nancy Rogers, Institute of Museum and Library Services,  would be
delighted to hear from you and to answer any questions you might  have. Please
contact them at: _sfox at salzburgglobal.org_ (mailto:sfox at salzburgglobal.org)
 and _nrogers at imls.gov_ (mailto:nrogers at imls.gov) .
Thank you in advance for your interest and for taking the  time to review
these materials.
Sincerely,
Susan Hildreth
Director
Institute of Museum and Library Services
Stephen L. Salyer
President & CEO
Salzburg Global  Seminar