[Nhcoll-l] outsourcing specimen prep

Chupasko, Judy jchupask at oeb.harvard.edu
Fri Jun 8 17:53:02 EDT 2012

Hi Becky,
While I agree with what everyone is saying on this list-serve, out-sourcing specimen preparation and the quality of work/data expected etc. would entirely depend on whom you hired to prepare the specimens. I would thoroughly check the background/experience of the person, as well as, try to hire an expert in the appropriate field.   I myself, have thought about doing consultant work, once semi-retired, on this very topic.  I have been collecting/preparing/conserving/managing mammal specimens/collections for over 25 years. I have prepared everything from beached whales to tiny shrews, both in laboratory and field conditions, I take copious notes during necropsies of EVERY specimen, as well as tons of measurements, I save complete skeletons, make high quality study skins or hides, save tissues, parasites, embryos, record stomach contents, etc.  I also try to train/teach as many people as possible in these techniques.......I think that is VERY important in this day and age. Specimen preparation is a dying art in my opinion, especially when so many mammalogy/biology courses are not able to or refrain from collecting/dissecting animals (health and safety regulations, ethical considerations, etc.).
My two cents, :) Judy

Judith M. Chupasko, Curatorial Associate
Department of Mammalogy
Harvard Museum of Comparative Zoology
26 Oxford Street, Cambridge, Mass. 02138
617-495-2469
jchupasko at oeb.harvard.edu