[Nhcoll-l] outsourcing specimen prep-let's broaden the conversation

Elizabeth Merritt emerritt at aam-us.org
Mon Jun 11 09:02:00 EDT 2012

This has been a very interesting discussion: the museum field seems to go through cycles in outsourcing and insourcing things like exhibit construction and security, but I've never seen the debate extend to specimen preparation before.

Would anyone like to contribute to a guest post on the Center for the Future of Museums blog on the topic? It would be nice to have someone arguing the "pro" side (as Judy says-making use of semi-retired experts, trained amateurs, etc.) and a counterpoint with the "cons." Contact me at emerritt at aam-us.org<mailto:emerritt at aam-us.org> if you are interested. Also-I'll be at the SPNHC meetings in New Haven this Friday and Saturday.

Yours from the future,

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Merritt
Founding Director, Center for the Future of Museums
T: 202.218. 7661  |  F: 202.289.6578
American Association of Museums
1575 Eye Street N.W., Suite 400  |  Washington, DC 20005