[Nhcoll-l] Categories of Specimens: A Collections Management Tool

Work, Paula Paula.Work at maine.gov
Fri Jun 22 14:52:11 EDT 2012

At the 27 Annual Meeting of the Society for the Preservation of Natural
History Collections, in New Haven CT (June 11-15),
I presented a paper on Creating Collection Relevance: A Museum's Guide
to Values Assessment.

During this talk I presented information related to the definition of
value categories, user groups, relationship types, scope of influence
and institutional relevance, which I felt are being developed from an
internal dialogue we, the museum community, are having with each other.
What I failed to realize is that my ideas related to values categories
had arisen directly from the work of Judith C. Price and Gerald R.
Fitzgerald, both from the Canadian Museum of Nature.  Please refer to
their Spring 1996 publication in Collection Forum "Categories of
Specimens: A Collections Management Tool".  This was an inadvertent
oversight and I would like their work acknowledged as being fundamental
to this presentation.

Paula T Work

---

Paula T. Work, Ph.D.