[Nhcoll-l] test

stuartf stuartf at knights.ucf.edu
Mon Jun 25 07:12:01 EDT 2012

ignore this -problems in florida

From: nhcoll-l-bounces at mailman.yale.edu [nhcoll-l-bounces at mailman.yale.edu] on behalf of Peter Rauch [peterar at berkeley.edu]
Sent: Friday, June 22, 2012 7:26 PM
To: Jay R. Cordeiro
Cc: nhcoll-l at mailman.yale.edu; crust-l at vims.edu; Gordon Hendler; FISH-SCI at SEGATE.SUNET.SE; esb at fws.gov
Subject: Re: [Nhcoll-l] Coral Reef Conservation Act of 2012 impacts onscientific research

Here's how I read the language:

The language states:
‘(3) EXEMPTIONS- The destruction, loss, or injury of a coral reef or any component thereof is not unlawful if it was--

‘(C) the necessary result of bona fide marine scientific research (including marine scientific research activities approved by Federal, State, or local permits), other than--

‘(i) sampling or collecting; and
‘(ii) destruction, loss, or injury that is a result of a vessel grounding, a vessel scraping, anchor damage, or excavation that is not authorized by a Federal or State permit;

What that says to me is:

If a vessel that is conducting permitted scientific research which results in the destruction, loss, or injury to a reef, the vessel did not commit an unlawful act, UNLESS in the process of sampling or collecting, the vessel ALSO ("and") caused damage to the reef BY its own grounding, scraping, anchor damage, or excavation, unless that damage was authorized by permit.

In other words, vessels conducting permitted scientific research must take care to not damage reefs too, but could be allowed to damage them under certain permitted activities and explicit permissions to cause damage by those means.

It does not say that permitted "sampling or collecting" per se is unlawful.

But, that's just my reading of that section of the bill.

Peter