[Nhcoll-l] Pest control in Insect Collections

Peter T Oboyski essig.museum at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 13:50:14 EDT 2013

Filipe,

I recommend using sticky traps mounted below ultraviolet lights (standard
museum pest monitoring traps) as well as regular inspections of the
collection. There are certain groups that are more likely to get infested
than others. In particular, large bodied specimens (dragonflies, large
beetles, butterflies, large moths, etc.) and parts of the collection that
are not used very often. You are more likely to notice damage in groups
that are visited more often, so make an effort to inspect all
drawers/cabinets equally. Once you find damage inspect all the other
drawers nearby. And be sure to clean the unit trays and/or drawers before
putting them back in the collection so you can detect fresh damage more
easily next time.

I recently started tracking individual drawers with unique numbers. This
allows me to review the history of a drawer: when it was first put into
service, each time pests are detected (hopefully never), when it was last
treated and how (eg. frozen, naphthalene, etc.), and when it was last
curated. It is a lot of work to back capture all of the drawers (and
probably not possible in a big collection like the Smithsonian). But once
all the drawers are entered into a database it is easy to add new
information. We have ~11,000 drawers. Perhaps you can do this by cabinet
rather than by drawer.

Pete

essig.museum at gmail.com
510.643.0804 (work phone)