[Nhcoll-l] SEM stubs in an Insect Collection

Gordon Jarrell gordon.jarrell at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 12:11:33 EST 2013

This sounds llike it could be made analogous to how we're tracking
cryovials and microscope slides.  Positions in freezer boxes, and positions
in slide boxes are essentially assigned by the Arctos form.  You need a
barcode on the vial/slide, but you can't see it once the item is scanned
into position in the parent container.  Been working well for several years
in UAM and MVZs freezers.  You'd need an Arctos form made for your stub
boxes, but this is generally easy for Dusty.
G.

On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 6:19 PM, Derek Sikes <dssikes at alaska.edu> wrote:

> We've got a number of SEM stubs of gold coated insect specimens that we'd
> like to incorporate into the main insect collection. I'm wondering how
> others curate such specimens and looking for any wisdom on what not to do.
>
> We'd also like to attach unique numbers to the stubs. We have adhesive
> barcodes that can be attached to the bottoms but the stubs are currently in
> a plastic box and each fits tightly into a holder inside the box. Attaching
> these barcodes to the bottom will make them invisible unless the stub is
> removed and that risks damaging the specimen on the top of the stub.
>
> Thanks!
> -Derek
>

> --
>
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++