[Nhcoll-l] FW: [Odonata-l] Collecting odonates in Corsica--permits needed?

Dirk Neumann Dirk.Neumann at zsm.mwn.de
Wed Mar 6 02:41:50 EST 2013

Dear Bob, Jessica

the situation is ambiguous; in general it is forbidden to collect any
specimens (whether dead or alive) from the wild, regardless if targeted
species are protected or not inside Europe. However, there is a large
variety of interpretations and implementations in the 27 European member
states, ranging from "hunters" shooting down everything that flies and
has feathers e.g. Malta to
not-being-allowed-to-pick-an-ant-without-permission-for-research-purposes in
Germany (while nobody would care to scavenger mowed down insects from
window screens of cars).

Corsica has in many fields autonomous administration and governance, so
it would be wise to inquire regional wildlife authorities. Perhaps this
helps to explain the divergent statement that there "is  no need to have
a permit". All this applies for "collecting".

But, if you want to _export_ the specimens from the European Union, you
need to show that they have been collected legally. Lindenia tetraphylla
is prodected under the Fauna Flora Habitat directive of the EU on Annex
II. Annex II listing means, that the species is _NOT_ strictly protected
(this would be species listed on annexes IV and V), but the species
appears on an official index of protected species.

I would recommend to ask regional authorities if they would deem it
necessary to issue an permit to collect this species in the wild and to
export it and would include their response (collecting permit or
statement that non is required) as copy to the shipping docs to provide
all relevant information in case of inspection.

Details of European protection status for species can be looked up at
www.wisia.de (offers also a English version that delivers results in
German ... but it is easily possible to extract the relevant from this
webpage)

Hope this helps
Dirk

Am 05.03.2013 13:02, schrieb Bob Glotzhober:

> I am passing this on to the collection list serve. Do any of you have
> the information that Jessica is looking for? Please respond directly
> to her.
>
> Bob Glotzhober
>
> Robert C. Glotzhober
>
> Senior Curator of Natural History
>
> Ohio Historical Society
>
> 800 E. 17^th Ave.
>
> Columbus, Ohio 43211-2474
>
> Ph. 614-298-2054

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Labor
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Lab
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/