[Nhcoll-l] optimal temperature

Simon Moore couteaufin at btinternet.com
Thu Mar 14 14:01:40 EDT 2013

Hi Marcela,

Some obervations on your request and answers thus far.
Most of our museums in the UK opt for about 12-15 deg C for fluid collections, which is safely below flash point for the various alcohols but not so uncomfortably cold for persons in the collection that they need to wear extra garments after 20 minutes.  You also have to consider the RH ratio relating to temperature as well as high humidity (up to 60%) which will reduce alcohol evaporation but is still just low enough to prevent fungus from growing on labels that might be on the outside of the jars (they should be inside the jars and against the glass).
I might also add that even on a really hot day for the UK and the temperature in the store can creep up to 20 deg. C if not air-conditioned, then the actual risk of explosion due to alcohol fumes is still so low that, as far as I know, no-one has ever reported such an incident.  Mostly the temp. is reduced to keep the Health & Safety regulators happy.

For skeletons the risk of fungal growth starts at around 60% RH but lower than 45% can lead to cranial sutures starting to open up.  15-20 deg C is fine for them.

Hope that this helps.

With all good wishes, Simon

Simon Moore MIScT, RSci, FLS, ACR
Conservator of Natural Sciences and Cutlery Historian,
www.natural-history-conservation.com