[Nhcoll-l] optimal temperature

Dirk Neumann Dirk.Neumann at zsm.mwn.de
Fri Mar 15 03:10:13 EDT 2013

Dear Marcela,

as John & Simon pointed out the relative humidity is as least as
important as temperature, and even though temperature control seems most
wanted, humidity fluctuations may cause even more issues. Whatever
condition seems appropriate for your collection, try to keep conditions
as constant as possible.

Two points I would like to add to the previous postings:
Humidity may not only effect containers and closures, but also shelving;
wooden shelves may be distorted and warp which might endanger slender
glasses to tip over, metal shelves may start rusting.

Rising temperatures or falling temperatures (compared to temperature
conditions when closing containers) effect the inside pressure of
containers. In relation to the head space, inside pressure may rise or
fall by 1-2 bar, which is a lot. Both scenarios have potential to crack
neck and/or lids of containers or, in case of rising temperatures, lift
the lids.

This may be an issue in Buenos Aires especially during winter from May
to June when you have low average temperatures but high humidity in the air.

Hope this helps
Dirk

Am 14.03.2013 17:12, schrieb Marcela Cosarinsky:
> Hi All,
> What temperature would you recommend for the best conservation of
> biological collections kept in liquids (alcohol, formalin), squeletons
> and embalmed animals?
>
> Many thanks, Marcela
>
> Marcela Cosarinsky (Curator)
> Sala de Colecciones - Departamento de Biodiversidad y biología
> Experimental
> Facultad de Cs. Exactas y Naturales
> Universidad de Buenos Aires
> Argentina
> email: marce_irene at yahoo.com.ar

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Labor
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Lab
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/