[Nhcoll-l] Excellent publication opportunity for NHCOLL list members!

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Tue Nov 5 16:38:14 EST 2013

On 11/5/13 11:19 AM, LINDA ELLIS wrote:
> *_List of Topics_*
> <snip>Wet specimens, preservation and display
> Fossilized materials, preservation and display
> Rocks and minerals, preservation and display
> Bone, antler, horn, preservation and display
> Ivory and teeth, preservation and display
> Plant materials, preservation and display
> Fur and hair, preservation and display
> Feathers, preservation and display
> Taxidermy, preservation and display
> Gems and jewelry, preservation and display
> Hazardous collections, preservation and display
Here's what I find curious about this list:

There are, in total, more insect specimens in the world than are in any
of these other categories of specimens, yet there is no category here
for the preservation and display of insect specimens.

Forgive me for saying this, but from my admittedly biased perspective
it's a little hard to view this as a serious scholarly endeavor when it
neglects the single largest category of museum specimens in existence.

Sincerely,