[Nhcoll-l] Isoflurane: Kansas

Ellen Paul ellen.paul at verizon.net
Thu Oct 10 14:31:51 EDT 2013

I've asked the Mammal-l listserve owner to consider changing settings so
that my message post properly, but in the meantime, here is an attempt
to respond to answer Nancy Solomon's request for Ohio, Illinois, and
Kansas.

By the way, think twice before running to your IACUC or IO with this
information. Don't borrow trouble! They could very well tell the
veterinarian - many of whom have been providing or prescribing
isoflurane regardless of state law - to stop doing so. I'm providing
this information in the context of the AVMA allegation that there are
alternatives, which is almost always turning out, in the view of the
AVMA and veterinarians, to be isoflurane. Word to the wise - don't raise
it unless they tell you that you can't use thoracic compression or have
to use isoflurane before using thoracic compression.

And finally - a plea, again, to let me know what happens at your
university with regard to the use of thoracic compression and isoflurane.

Kansas:

Kansas is one of the many states that requires a "veterinary client
patient relationship."

(1) All prescription drugs to be dispensed for use by a companion animal
may be dispensed only on the order
  of a licensed veterinarian who has an existing veterinary
client-patient relationship as defined by the Kansas  veterinary
practice act.

http://www.kansas.gov/veterinary/KS_Administrative_Regulations.pdf

Here is the definition:

(n) "Veterinary-client-patient relationship" means:
  (1) The veterinarian has assumed the responsibility for making medical
judgments regarding the health of the
animal or animals and the need for medical treatment, and the client,
owner or other caretaker has agreed to follow
the instruction of the veterinarian;
  (2) there is sufficient knowledge of the animal or animals by the
veterinarian to initiate at least a general or
preliminary diagnosis of the medical condition of the animal or animals.
This means that the veterinarian has recently
seen or is personally acquainted with the keeping and care of the animal
or animals by virtue of an examination of
the animal or animals, or by medically appropriate and timely visits to
the premises where the animal or animals are
kept, or both; and
  (3) the practicing veterinarian is readily available for followup in
case of adverse reactions or failure of the
regimen of therapy.

http://www.kansas.gov/veterinary/KS_Practice_Act2.pdf

That NEVER exists for the kind of work you are doing. So is the campus
vet going to violate Kansas law and give you isoflurane? And do they
really believe you can carry it on a plane?

Ellen

Ellen Paul
Executive Director
The Ornithological Council
Email: ellen.paul at verizon.net
"Providing Scientific Information about Birds"
http://www.nmnh.si.edu/BIRDNET"