[Nhcoll-l] which database software for a natural history museum?

James Cokendolpher cokendolpher at aol.com
Fri Oct 25 10:05:07 EDT 2013

Hi Nicolas, et al.
We are using the Symbiota software for our invertebrate collection.  Specifically, ours is through SCAN.  Once setup and you have your passwords and accounts you can enter data over the internet from any computer anywhere.  You database can be searched by people around the world so they can see as much data, pictures, etc. you will release.  There is no costs that I am aware.  The remote login is great for field work or having staff or students enter data from paper copies at their houses (for you on those days you just cannot get to work for the snow on the road). See https://www.idigbio.org/tags/symbiota
Let me know if you need more specific information.
Cheers, James

 James Cokendolpher

 Invertebrate Zoology- NSRL
 Museum of Texas Tech University