[Nhcoll-l] SPNHC Food Management in Institutions survey

Bethany Palumbo bgpalumbo at hotmail.co.uk
Wed Apr 16 11:20:02 EDT 2014

Dear all,

Museums, people and food are closely tied together.  From staff members'
brown bag lunches to the cafeteria to a catered donor event, food service is
a necessity in modern museums and institutions.  At the most basic level,
food vendors feed visitors and generate revenue. A strong partnership
between museums and food vendors nourishes people and the delivery of the
museum's mission. The focus on healthy, sustainable nutrition also fits well
into the educational mission of the museum field.

On the other hand, the presence of food in the museum presents a challenge
to the long-term preservation of museum collections. The risk of pest
infestation and soiling of collections is real. Incorrect disposal of food
waste and insufficient house-keeping both contribute to pest infestation
while food and beverages carried through areas with collections can spill
and soil objects, causing damage which may not be reversible.

On behalf of the SPNHC Conservation Committee, we feel that there is
currently a lack of documented recommendations in regards to food management
within museums. Through international collaboration, we hope to create a set
of guidelines that institutions can use to protect vulnerable collections
while supporting food services. We have put together a questionnaire (with
many thanks to Cathy Hawks) to help us gauge an understanding of the current
condition of food management within museums and institutions on an
international scale.

We would be extremely grateful if you could fill out the following
questionnaire before June 1st 2014. Your input is integral to the success of
this project.

Here is the link:
<http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/1552943/SPNHC-Survey-Food-in-Institutions>
http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/1552943/SPNHC-Survey-Food-in-Institutions

With many thanks,

Gretchen Anderson and Rob Waller on behalf of the SPNHC Conservation
Committee