[Nhcoll-l] SPNHC Food Management in Institutions survey

Anderson, Gretchen AndersonG at CarnegieMNH.Org
Wed Apr 16 14:06:50 EDT 2014

Looks great!  I am back at the computer and will post on OSG.

Gretchen Anderson
Conservator
Carnegie Museum of Natural History
5800 Baum Blvd
Pittsburgh, PA 15202
Phone (412)665-2607
Andersong at CarnegieMNH.org<mailto:Andersong at CarnegieMNH.org>
http://www.carnegiemnh.org

From: nhcoll-l-bounces at mailman.yale.edu [mailto:nhcoll-l-bounces at mailman.yale.edu] On Behalf Of Bethany Palumbo
Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 11:20 AM
To: NATSCA at JISCMAIL.AC.UK; nhcoll-l at mailman.yale.edu
Subject: [Nhcoll-l] SPNHC Food Management in Institutions survey

Dear all,

Museums, people and food are closely tied together.  From staff members' brown bag lunches to the cafeteria to a catered donor event, food service is a necessity in modern museums and institutions.  At the most basic level, food vendors feed visitors and generate revenue. A strong partnership between museums and food vendors nourishes people and the delivery of the museum's mission. The focus on healthy, sustainable nutrition also fits well into the educational mission of the museum field.

On the other hand, the presence of food in the museum presents a challenge to the long-term preservation of museum collections. The risk of pest infestation and soiling of collections is real. Incorrect disposal of food waste and insufficient house-keeping both contribute to pest infestation while food and beverages carried through areas with collections can spill and soil objects, causing damage which may not be reversible.

On behalf of the SPNHC Conservation Committee, we feel that there is currently a lack of documented recommendations in regards to food management within museums. Through international collaboration, we hope to create a set of guidelines that institutions can use to protect vulnerable collections while supporting food services. We have put together a questionnaire (with many thanks to Cathy Hawks) to help us gauge an understanding of the current condition of food management within museums and institutions on an international scale.

We would be extremely grateful if you could fill out the following questionnaire before June 1st 2014. Your input is integral to the success of this project.
Here is the link: http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/1552943/SPNHC-Survey-Food-in-Institutions

With many thanks,

Gretchen Anderson and Rob Waller on behalf of the SPNHC Conservation Committee

The information contained in this message and/or attachments is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any system and destroy any copies.  Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender.