[Nhcoll-l] Numbering unmounted taxidermy

Kirsten Nicholson norops at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 09:12:53 EDT 2014

Hi Heather,

Normally we remove the tag that's attached to any mounts when they go on
display. We place them in a special file folder and we have files (both
paper and digital) for all displays.  We document what specimens are on
display, have multiple pictures each with associated other paperwork so
that when the display comes down we can positively ID each specimen for
return to the collection (and reattachment of the tag). We track all of
this information in our database as well.

Sincerely,

Kirsten

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 5:48 PM, <Heather.Thorwald at dmns.org> wrote:

> I'm posting this for a colleague.  Please reply to her directly at
> katie.keckeisen at wyo.gov
>

> Hello all,
>

> Does anyone have any pointers with how to apply a number to a taxidermy
> specimen that will be displayed without its wooden mount? We have a
> taxidermied mountain lion that is being removed from its mount to go on
> exhibit on a fake rock.  Any ideas?
>

> Thanks!
> Katie
>

> --
>
> *Katie Keckeisen*
>
> Curator
>
> Wyoming Territorial Prison State Historic Site
>
> 975 Snowy Range Road
>
> Laramie, WY  82070
>

> 307-745-3733 ex. 20
>
> 307-343-5100 (cell)
>

> E-Mail to and from me, in connection with the transaction
>
> of public business, is subject to the Wyoming Public Records
>
> Act and may be disclosed to third parties.
>

> Heather Thorwald
>
> Registrar
>
> Denver Museum of Nature & Science

Kirsten E. Nicholson, Ph.D

*Assoc. Prof. Biology          and       Curator of Natural HistoryDept. of
Biology                             Museum of Cultural and Natural
History217 Brooks Hall                            103 Rowe HallCentral
Michigan Univ.                 Central Michigan University Mt. Pleasant, MI
48859                 Mt. Pleasant, MI 48859989-774-3758
             989-774-3829*