[Nhcoll-l] Telling formalin from ethanol

Dietrich, Elizabeth DIETRICH at si.edu
Thu Mar 6 09:31:31 EST 2014

Something to keep in mind-
Based on our sampling, by chemical analysis, of fluids in tanks of preserved animals, if the animals were fixed or previously preserved in formalin there will always be a significant amount present in the alcohol.  By significant, I don't mean by quantity but as a hazard.  I would caution against doing much sniff testing.