[Nhcoll-l] Telling formalin from ethanol

Dirk Neumann dirk.neumann at zsm.mwn.de
Thu Mar 6 09:52:56 EST 2014

Dear Megan,
you could use formaldehyde indicator strips whcih necessitates to open
every jar. At least judging from our fish collection, formaldehyde
stored specimens turn opaque over time and the fluid gets a yellowish
tone (other than the yellowish-brown stained alcohol) because of the
decalcification. (there are plenty his for "formaldehyde indicator strips")

You would need larger amounts of formaldehyde leaking from the specimens
into the alcohol to be able to smell it (unless for formalin-sensitive
people perhaps); another good option to recognise formaldehyde
contaminations in alcohol is to check for thin paraformaldehyde needles
/ precipitations at the bottom or floating in the fluid (easily
detectable if you hold the jar against a lamp). This precipitation also
froms if you transfer your specimens in an alcohol ladder (normally at
the final step from 60 -> 70 % in packed jars with many specimens).

Hope this helps...
Dirk

Am 06.03.2014 15:31, schrieb Dietrich, Elizabeth:
> Telling formalin from ethanol
>
> Something to keep in mind-
>
> Based on our sampling, by chemical analysis, of fluids in tanks of
> preserved animals, if the animals were fixed or previously preserved
> in formalin there will always be a significant amount present in the
> alcohol.  By significant, I don't mean by quantity but as a hazard.  I
> would caution against doing much sniff testing.

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Labor
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Lab
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/