[Nhcoll-l] FW: Telling formalin from ethanol

Robert Waller rw at protectheritage.com
Thu Mar 6 11:37:59 EST 2014

Hi Megan,

I like Dries’ idea of using floatation of a piece of paper for
distinguishing ethanol rich solutions from more water-based solutions –
seems very elegant.  Still, this test does may not exactly respond to the
question you put forward.  The test method you adopt may depend on how you
want a solution that is (for example) 3% formalin and 50% ethanol to be
identified.  The paper sinking test would (I suspect) lead to this being
identified as an ethanol solution.  If you would prefer this to be
identified as a formalin solution then you need to employ a test based on
the positive identification of formaldehyde.

As Elizabeth says, a problem for distinguishing ethanol from formalin
solutions is that residual formalin from fixation will make many ethanol
solutions test positive for formaldehyde if sensitive tests are applied.
Don McAllister and I developed a test strip for distinguishing formalin from
ethanol solutions that we deliberately made less sensitive to avoid that
problem.

It has been published as:

Robert Waller and D.E. McAllister. A spot test for distinguishing formalin
from alcohol solutions.  Proceedings of the 1985 Workshop on the Care and
Maintenance of Natural History Collections, J. Waddington and D.M. Rudkin,
Eds., 93 99, 1986.

and Curator 30(3), 240-249, 1987.

Rob