[Nhcoll-l] Publishing Vertebrate Paleontology data through IPT and Federal land requirements

Gil Nelson gnelson at bio.fsu.edu
Wed Mar 19 18:40:45 EDT 2014

Andy, this issue is being debated now within the paleo community. Chris
Norris dealt with it at a recent Paleo Digitization Working Group
meeting. There are laws governing this. Chris might be the best one to
address your question.

On 3/19/2014 4:16 PM, Bentley, Andrew Charles wrote:

> Hi all
>
> We are in the process of publishing all KU collections data through
> IPT to publish to GBIF and other portals.  A question has arisen
> regarding the publishing of vertebrate paleontology data and an issue
> of publishing exact localities.  I am not a paleo person and so was
> wondering if anybody had any insights into this issue.  Are there any
> Federal regulations (in the BLM) or elsewhere that prohibit the
> publishing of locality data to the outside world?  What are other vert
> paleo collections doing when publishing data online?

> Andy
>
>     A  :             A  :             A  :
>  }<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<)))_°>
>     V                V                V
> Andy Bentley
> Ichthyology Collection Manager
> University of Kansas
> Biodiversity Institute
>
> Dyche Hall
> 1345 Jayhawk Boulevard
> Lawrence, KS, 66045-7561
> USA
>
> Tel: (785) 864-3863
> Fax: (785) 864-5335
> Email: abentley at ku.edu <mailto:abentley at ku.edu>
>
> http://ichthyology.biodiversity.ku.edu
> <http://ichthyology.biodiversity.ku.edu/>
>
> SPNHC President-Elect
>
> http://www.spnhc.org <http://www.spnhc.org/>
>
>                            : :
>     A  :             A  :             A  :
>  }<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<)))_°>
>     V                V                V

Gil Nelson, PhD
Assistant Professor/Research
iDigBio Steering Committee
Integrated Digitized Biocollections
Institute for Digital Information and Scientific Communication
College of Communication and Information

Courtesy Professor
Department of Biological Sciences
Robert K. Godfrey Herbarium
Florida State University