[Nhcoll-l] Publishing Vertebrate Paleontology data through IPT and Federal land requirements

Dirk Neumann dirk.neumann at zsm.mwn.de
Thu Mar 20 04:21:32 EDT 2014

Hi Andy,

In Europe an EC-Directive is governing - respectively limiting access to
data, namely Directive EC/2003/98/EC of the European Parliament and of
the Council:
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2003:345:0090:0096:EN:PDF

GENERAL PROVISIONS
Article 1
Subject matter and scope

[...]
2. This Directive shall not apply to:

[...]
(e) documents held by educational and research establishments,
such as schools, universities, archives, libraries and research
facilities including, where relevant, organisations established
for the transfer of research results;
(f) documents held by cultural establishments, such as
museums, libraries, archives, orchestras, operas, ballets and
theatres.

As far as I know this was included to reflect ICOM-Standards, but -
honestly - I am not familiar with the details of the ICOM Code of Ethics
for Museums, where this is probably lodged. It might be worth looking
this up though ?

All the best
Dirk

Am 19.03.2014 21:16, schrieb Bentley, Andrew Charles:

> Hi all
>
> We are in the process of publishing all KU collections data through
> IPT to publish to GBIF and other portals.  A question has arisen
> regarding the publishing of vertebrate paleontology data and an issue
> of publishing exact localities.  I am not a paleo person and so was
> wondering if anybody had any insights into this issue.  Are there any
> Federal regulations (in the BLM) or elsewhere that prohibit the
> publishing of locality data to the outside world?  What are other vert
> paleo collections doing when publishing data online?

> Andy
>
>     A  :             A  :             A  :
>  }<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<)))_°>
>     V                V                V
> Andy Bentley
> Ichthyology Collection Manager
> University of Kansas
> Biodiversity Institute
>
> Dyche Hall
> 1345 Jayhawk Boulevard
> Lawrence, KS, 66045-7561
> USA
>
> Tel: (785) 864-3863
> Fax: (785) 864-5335
> Email: abentley at ku.edu <mailto:abentley at ku.edu>
>
> http://ichthyology.biodiversity.ku.edu
> <http://ichthyology.biodiversity.ku.edu/>
>
> SPNHC President-Elect
>
> http://www.spnhc.org <http://www.spnhc.org/>
>
>                            : :
>     A  :             A  :             A  :
>  }<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<)))_°>
>     V                V                V

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Labor
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Lab
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/