[Nhcoll-l] Removing Marker from Bone

Lena Hernandez LHernandez at themosh.org
Thu Jun 18 08:31:22 EDT 2015

Hi All,

Does anyone have a bright idea on how to remove marker from bone? This human vertebrae is part of our teaching collection but we need to put it into service in a hands on (permenant) portion of an exhibit, so I want to make it look nice before we start using it. I have attached a few images of the marker damage for reference. If I had to make a guess I would say that it is sharpie. Because it is part of the teaching collection I do have extra leeway in the types of treatments that I can try on it but I do need it to look nice once I am done. Any ideas?

Please excuse the cross posting and thank you in advance for your help!

Lena

Lena Hernandez
Collections Manager/Registrar

Museum of Science & History