[Nhcoll-l] Removing Marker from Bone

Julie Rousseau rousseauj19 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 09:12:15 EDT 2015

Hi Lena,

Acetone usually does the trick for Sharpie. Maybe try applying it with a Q-tip on small sections and patting with absorbent paper as you go. The acetone will make the ink flow and the mark spread if you just pour it on.
If there was a preservative (acryloid, paraloid, etc.) applied to the bone, the acetone will dissolve that too and you might end up with a color/surface texture difference which can be fixed by a new coat of the preservative (which could be a good idea anyway if it’s going to be touchable in the exhibit).

Julie