[Nhcoll-l] Refixing, Ward's solution, and other problems with old specimen

Bentley, Andrew Charles abentley at ku.edu
Thu Sep 10 11:05:58 EDT 2015

Hi Jade

I would concur with all the comments made so far that your major concern would be detrimental osmotic changes to the specimens.  I had never heard of Ward’s solution (and apparently neither had John Simmons as there is no mention of it in his book – probably because it is not a preservative usually associated with specimens) but I did find an MSDS online for the solution - https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.lakeland.edu_PDFs_MSDS_1332_Ward-2DSafe-2520Packing-2520Fluid-2520-2528Wards-2529.pdf&d=AwIGaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=p73XbT7yhpnL9Wpr7ympluasx_gNYl7Z4KYqKb8acSI&s=d-TvWsi8GR5eJAZLRKAexYQ_PpzYVC39aSzBuaKNC4o&e=

It appears to be a small amount of methyl alcohol (2.87%) mixed with water and some other ingredients and as such would not be recommended due to the low concentration of preservative.  For comparison we usually work with concentrations of 70% ethanol or 50% isopropanol in collections so this represents a very low concentration that would not prevent mold growth.  Given this I would recommend the step up approach outlined by Dirk and others and may suggest some formaldehyde in the first step as a precaution.

In terms of labelling, yes, Resistall paper is acidic and will eventually cause problems.  The printing mechanism of choice now is the thermal transfer printer system sold by Alpha Systems together with the spun bound polyester media and ribbon – see attached.  There is a fairly large investment up front for the printer but the labels pay for themselves in durability and longevity.  We have been using this system in our collection for about 15 years now and have been very happy with the results.  We have seen no deterioration of labels over that time (no fading, no cracking, no brittleness etc.).  They are also virtually indestructible and do not leach anything into the alcohol.

Hope that helps

Andy

    A  :             A  :             A  :
 }<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<)))_°>
    V                V                V
Andy Bentley
Ichthyology Collection Manager
University of Kansas
Biodiversity Institute
Dyche Hall
1345 Jayhawk Boulevard
Lawrence, KS, 66045-7561
USA

Tel: (785) 864-3863
Fax: (785) 864-5335
Email: abentley at ku.edu<mailto:abentley at ku.edu>
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ichthyology.biodiversity.ku.edu&d=AwIGaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=p73XbT7yhpnL9Wpr7ympluasx_gNYl7Z4KYqKb8acSI&s=7aSTFQX7maKqllYOKX0iOGdtRUzybVmQ1MoBA-F7zP0&e= <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ichthyology.biodiversity.ku.edu_&d=AwIGaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=p73XbT7yhpnL9Wpr7ympluasx_gNYl7Z4KYqKb8acSI&s=bOMUR3-xFVwmNKdXt9Fe_PUbpvUCxXhWE8_aX9bXAJE&e= >

SPNHC President
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.spnhc.org&d=AwIGaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=p73XbT7yhpnL9Wpr7ympluasx_gNYl7Z4KYqKb8acSI&s=3FsRBFdFQbZZmzD9VjnXCG969tWvxQnD6UsjPP0hYi8&e= <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.spnhc.org_&d=AwIGaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=p73XbT7yhpnL9Wpr7ympluasx_gNYl7Z4KYqKb8acSI&s=1Mgn7umm5ZEuyeM0_DvTRJyafEBO_5LoJfTcPeotr04&e= >

    A  :             A  :             A  :
    V                V                V