[Nhcoll-l] preventing and treating mold in basketry and similar woven materials

Bryant, James JBRYANT at riversideca.gov
Thu Sep 10 15:07:49 EDT 2015

With a fairly large collection of historic basketry woven of plant materials, we are concerned that we are able to maintain the right environment to discourage mold occurrences (especially on baskets with past use in food gathering and prep), and also prevent the dispersal of mold between objects. Are there published standards for this sort of preventative conservation? Even though we are in an area (typically) known for low, year-round humidity, with the prospect of an extended El Nino wet season ahead, we’d like to know we’re doing all we can to inhibit mold. Any suggestions or comments from subscribers would be much appreciated.

James M. Bryant
Curator of Natural History
Museum Depart., City of Riverside
3580 Mission Inn Avenue
Riverside, CA 92501
TEL: 951-826-5273
FAX: 951-369-4970
jbryant at riversideca.gov<mailto:jbryant at riversideca.gov>
[cid:image2f0f95.JPG at 44cf87de.4fb8a104]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__BlueRiverside.com&d=AwIGaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=ImzxI3BtL7NdTInghf2p__NgDJwdH-ldt1BflcPNp8c&s=IIB7Hiji-65xE8JCRPyQPDaV2R7xAG5u1dbPMOCasng&e= >