[Nhcoll-l] preventing and treating mold in basketry and similar woven materials

Robert Waller rw at protectheritage.com
Thu Sep 10 22:37:44 EDT 2015

Hi James,

Mold growth at any given temperature requires a combination of high RH and time at the elevated RH.

A convenient source for estimating the RH x time boundaries at about room temperature is in Stefan’s web page on Incorrect Relative Humidity as an Agent at: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.cci-2Dicc.gc.ca_resources-2Dressources_agentsofdeterioration-2Dagentsdedeterioration_chap10-2Deng.aspx&d=AwIFaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=4yfc1mUVfSGbHR40pIgf41zrF2NHR6zNEBNDso2YVEE&s=e4pTnetq3lioAUTFOu26FNKlbIp_1-0QW3VZNCgG8VA&e=

There you will see the time required for mold growth at these RH conditions can be estimated as:

% RH

Days

90

3

80

10

75

30

70

100

Remember the importance of guarding against temperature gradients or sources of moisture like damp walls, both of which can cause locally higher RH levels in collection materials than are measured in the middle of a room.

Best,

Rob