[Nhcoll-l] Acid-Free Tissue Recommendations

Cody Thompson cwthomp at umich.edu
Fri Sep 25 11:58:50 EDT 2015

Hello all:

The UMMZ Mammal Division is beginning our packing process for our
relocation.  Does anyone have any recommendations for acid-free tissue that
could be used to pack skulls and skeletons in vials?  We typically would use
toilet tissue for packing loans, but we would prefer to leave the tissue in
the vial until the specimens are accessed again for research, loans, etc.
We are not planning to wrap the specimens individually as we would for
loans; rather, we plan to use the tissue to stabilize the material in the
vial for transport.  Therefore, we need a product that has the flexibility
of toilet tissue and could potentially be in the vial for years.  Anyhow, I
would appreciate any suggestions!

Thank you,
Cody

Cody W. Thompson, PhD
Mammal Collections Manager
& Assistant Research Scientist
University of Michigan
Museum of Zoology
1109 Geddes Avenue
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109
Office: (734) 615-2810
Fax: (734) 763-4080
Email: cwthomp at umich.edu
Website: codythompson51.wordpress.com

"Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land."
-Aldo Leopold