[Nhcoll-l] replacement 132 mm lids for large volume glass buckets/jars

Jade Keehn keehnj at nevada.unr.edu
Mon Apr 11 12:12:46 EDT 2016

Howdy all,

I know a few of the wet collections have been struggling to find vendors of
replacement polypropylene lid for 2-5 gallon glass jars.

The most recent vendor, Image Corp, was out of business when I called a few
months ago. There is a company (Colt's Plastics) that will make the cap in
phenolic plastic, but otherwise the only place I've found these lids is
from the manufacturer itself, Empire/EMCO.

Empire will not sell lids unless you order 1000 at a time. However, because
of the recent volume of requesting, wining, and general badgering from
various folks, they have very kindly agreed to process small batch orders
for $1.29 per lid, not including shipping. I asked that they hold off on
the order until Thursday April 14th in case anyone wants to call in to
place an order. I ordered some extras for our collection as well ... we are
happy to barter for some specimens! If you only need a dozen or so, we
might be better off adding those lids to the order for our collection (and
then shipping to you after) so that Empire is not getting clogged up with
too many shipping addresses and accounts, as this type of small ordering is
not their cup of tea.

As an aside, those 2.5 gallon pickle jars with the flimsy aluminum lids
from Anchor Hocking work just fine if you switch to a 120 mm polypropylene
lid. We can get a good seal with the standard liner, but we put two liners
in to be extra safe (just started using them, so I can't speak for long
term seal quality).

Cheers,

Jade Keehn
Assistant Curator
Museum of Natural History
University of Nevada, Reno
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.naturalhistory.unr.edu_&d=AwIBaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=ZtnKjFKgeYJUDC4ooT6tzxMC501UnoXiqpt5yYSULls&s=7m3U0XnsO67yerGSWQvVz7VuSbfqkMumfyPvTgwIUBs&e=

Empire/EMCO
2430 North Forest Rd., Suite 125
Getzville, NY 14068
Phone 716-832-8800
Contact: Barbara Ghiandoni
bghiandoni at empireemco.com
(Extension 259)

Colt's Plastics Co., Inc.
Phone: 800-222-2658 ext. 220
Fax: 860-779-0782
Rstjean at coltsplastics.com
www.colt <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.coltsplastics.com_&d=AwIBaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=ZtnKjFKgeYJUDC4ooT6tzxMC501UnoXiqpt5yYSULls&s=iz1_T5UBAUcGPAFvMryJwotda0wwAEL4zw7OmtRrRl8&e= >splastics.com