[Nhcoll-l] Update on ACE

Ellen Paul ellen.paul at verizon.net
Tue Aug 9 09:24:07 EDT 2016

I have now reviewed the data entry instructions for the APHIS Core
component of the new Automated Commercial Environment. I haven't seen
the Customs and Border Protection instructions yet.

What I have seen convinces me that the idea that OC and SPNHC could go
in together to buy the software and all our members to do their own
entries is...INSANELY NOT REALISTIC.

This system is supposed to be simpler. Well, maybe for commercial
importers. Certainly not for us!

I am still waiting to hear from SEKO about doing entries for the natural
history/natural sciences research community. Meanwhile, I am
investigating a handful of brokers around the country to determine the
fees for handling the entry and it looks like it runs about $100. I am
going to try to reach FedEx Trade Network today.

This is something you are going to need to set up before you leave the
U.S. (or have someone stateside handle it for you before you return) and
again, as it is unlikely that the brokers will have the requisite
expertise to answer the questions correctly insofar as your
shipments/hand-carries are concerned, feel free to have the broker
contact me (that's for bird people only).

Ellen

--
Ellen Paul

Ellen Paul

Executive Director

Ornithological Council <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.nmnh.si.edu_BIRDNET&d=CwICaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=oRA0hCP07FzR55tnWJRXGljL0fySFWBp2iWv6XerLvs&s=zdyQ57oVNGXxFqAzacb_atKu0cDfjqiQkZKDhAOyMAU&e= >

Phone (301) 986 8568

Providing Scientific Information about Birds