[Nhcoll-l] Ethanol concentration for tissue samples

Callomon,Paul prc44 at drexel.edu
Wed Jan 27 12:56:31 EST 2016

As Simon points out, it depends what you want the specimen for. On the one hand, in our experience clean DNA (single genes or the whole thing) can be got from specimens in concentrations as low as 70% (though there is some variation between organisms); on the other, 95% will shrink and harden a specimen, making it difficult to do anatomical work without rehydration that itself damages cells. Absolute alcohol (99.9%) has been denatured using chemicals, as distillation only gets purity up to 95%. Any trace denaturant might have unpredictable long-term effects on the specimen.

PC

Paul Callomon
Collection Manager, Malacology, Invertebrate Paleontology and General Invertebrates
Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University, Philadelphia
1900 Benjamin Franklin Parkway, Philadelphia PA 19103-1195, USA
callomon at ansp.org<mailto:callomon at ansp.org> Tel 215-405-5096 - Fax 215-299-1170