[Nhcoll-l] Multiple numbers

Dirk Neumann dirk.neumann at zsm.mwn.de
Fri Mar 11 19:11:31 EST 2016

... also if you consider DNA & tissue collections, it is hardly feasible
to maintain original lot or specimen accession numbers, especially on
pre-numbered (eg 2D barcoded) tubes or tissues/DNAs that have been
shared/received from researchers outside the own institution.

While in vertebrates maintaining the "original" accession ID for any
subsamples, parts, or preparations inside one institution might be
feasible, this gets extremely difficult if samples of the same
individuum are shared among different institutions or collections (eg
our bird hides are still in ZSM, while the skeletons are stored in a
separate, archaeozoological collection as reference material).

Ideally, you would wish to keep the same ID for all parts derived out of
the original specimens, but practically you would wish to have an
integrated data and collection management system that allows "to keep"
on track (ideally with GUIDs as explained by Doug). This surely has
special relevance in insect collections, where individualisation
typically happens during extraction in the DNA lab, but not during
accession of specimens or cataloguing of insect drawers.

However, it is of fundamental importance - also because of the
provenance of samples needs to be clear under ABS aspects during any
downstream sharing of samples, either internal or external - that the
"origin" of samples and all derivatives remains clearly traceable.

An integrated and flexible system using unique IDs and GUILDs (which is
basically a lot based approached as mentioned by Andy combined with an
additional layer that allows to relate "insect drawers" with x species
from y locations but also subsequent tissue subsamples, original DNA
extracts, aliquots of the same extraction, repeated extractions of same
tissues etc.) is surely the best approach to handle the scenario Paul
described in his original post/question. This also allows to manage
external tissues which are only curated but have to be stored under
their original (external) IDs/field numbers/barcodes...

Adding pre- or suffixes (for specific collections, eg PIS for pisces,
HERP for herps, MAM for mammals) helps to tackle issues with overlapping
numbers in different collections inside the same institution. This also
works for specific projects, as long as these additions are clearly
defined and consistently managed (eg ZSM-PIS-00001 for a fish specimen,
ZSM-OTO-001 for a otolith of a completely different, not preserved fish,
ZSM-YOY-001 for fish larvae; all numbers were inherited from earlier
"historic" collections).

My two cents ..

all the best
Dirk

Am 11.03.2016 um 13:14 schrieb Rogers, Steve:
> [...]
>
> In the Herp collection I also care for, the early managers had a separate amphibian collection starting with number 1, but then started with number 1 twice in the separate reptile catalogs, later using a single numbering system in reptiles, but didn't start a unified amphibian and reptile numbers system until catalogue number 10,001. I was the very lucky person in the 1980's who had to string and hand-write herp tags for about 25,000 or more specimens in the series then identified as R, P and S series because of computerization. There were some 'lot' catalogued groups of specimens, and an alphabetic letter following the official catalogue number. For example R-3106, which had been tagged in a series 3106-A, 3106-B, up to 3106-GG, had to be retagged R 3106A, R 3106B, etc. That numbering system was left over from years ago as we exchanged both 3106-Y through 3106 DD and separately 3106EE through GG. https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.idigbio.org_portal_rec
>   ords_f41de187-2D79b1-2D4693-2Da032-2D11c7cc7de076&d=AwIFAg&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=4rcN__6y2ghaZeUEkcIxT2ollYf1q2-dwMIWk_Z4Km4&s=rADSLeuOBsfjDxVlqeLK_Am99nHELvoltKpP4VKwPUM&e=
>
> It is all good fun..
>
> Stephen P. Rogers (Mr.)
> Collection Manager of Section of Birds
> and Section of Amphibians and Reptiles
> Carnegie Museum of Natural History
> 4400 Forbes Avenue
> Pittsburgh PA 15213-4080
> Phone: 412-622-3255 or 3258
> Email: rogerss at CarnegieMNH.org
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.carnegiemnh.org_birds_index.html&d=AwIFAg&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=4rcN__6y2ghaZeUEkcIxT2ollYf1q2-dwMIWk_Z4Km4&s=5a16xwI1fYTdm2A434qh5JjKrQL7TTbeLdOle2YDUbg&e=
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.carnegiemnh.org_herps_index.html&d=AwIFAg&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=4rcN__6y2ghaZeUEkcIxT2ollYf1q2-dwMIWk_Z4Km4&s=qUvD-KYKTWoq2ezxXyM4mco7WY4TWWd5K2ECsGu--1E&e=

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Labor
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.zsm.mwn.de_ich_&d=AwIF-g&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=7LdPwGOxGXs4PA4YTzdUB0AVPTK3AK9MB1uuVc7ieqU&s=Py8UtOoqCKaajRraxkqBFp_fmAr6gMlnpQ5oD2z46h0&e=

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Lab
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at: