[Nhcoll-l] Broken Mount Help

Lena Hernandez LHernandez at themosh.org
Tue Oct 18 10:32:15 EDT 2016

Good Morning Everyone!

Please excuse the cross-posting. I am a bit far out of my bailiwick and in need of advice.  We have a skeletal mount of a modern manatee in on our exhibits that was mounted 20 years ago, and has been on display in the same spot since then. Yesterday the head fell off.  No staff was present in the gallery when it happened so we don't know if it came off on its own or if a visitor pulled it down. Either way, it is now sitting in my office.  My question is how best to reattach it.  We do not have good records around the materials originally used during the creation of the mount, and do not currently have the funds to pay someone to come in and professionally fix it for us.

It was originally adhered with some sort of adhesive at a single point on a ½" pipe.  Although it managed to hold for 20 years I feel like the single point of connection is not the best idea? Any assistance with recommended  materials or techniques would be much appreciated!! I have attached a PDF with pictures of the attachment point and pipe.

Lena

Lena Hernandez
Collections Manager & Registrar

Museum of Science & History
1025 Museum Circle
Jacksonville, FL 32207
(904)396-6674 x212
lhernandez at themosh.org<mailto:lhernandez at themosh.org>

[cid:91A38FD8-A47B-4CB1-A35B-2418658B48DD]