[Nhcoll-l] Fw: Question about larval fish preservation

Sarah K. Huber skhuber at vims.edu
Tue Feb 21 12:00:18 EST 2017

I received this e-mail from a colleague and wasn't able to help. Does anyone know if it's possible to mount fish larvae on slides?

We have a few larval specimens that we would like to show under a microscope at an upcoming meeting with a group of electric utilities. My boss wanted me to look into whether we could easily mount a specimen on a glass slide (with a depression) in a way that will allow it to be held in place, viewed through a microscope, and also not dry out. Maybe in glycerine, toluene, or agar? I looked online and was unable to find any information about preserving and displaying larval fish on slides and wanted to check with you to see if you had any suggestions or knew of any procedures. It does not need to be preserved in good condition for too long, at least a couple weeks. Also, being able to do the same thing with eggs would be helpful. Any information or suggestions you can provide would be helpful. Thanks for your time!

Nate Jacobson

Project Scientist

501 Avis Drive, Ann Arbor, MI  48108

Desk: 734-821-3131     email:njacobson at limno.com