[Nhcoll-l] fluid specimens and iodine staining

Dirk Neumann dirk.neumann at zsm.mwn.de
Sat Jul 1 04:44:52 EDT 2017

Hi Christopher,

this is a rather theoretical reply after looking into available
literature which you surely also consulted (e.g. Butters et al 2014 &
Balint et al 2016 on Plos One).

Both papers basically say that the staining results are hard to predict
and largely dependent on perfusion rates and tissue thickness (which of
course is no surprise but pure chemistry and physics). Obvious issues
effecting the scan results are over-staining or under-staining, and the
optimal incubation time is hard to predict and depends on specimens
size, tissue composition and - surely too - deposits in and on the
specimens (the cholesterol you already noticed surely is one of the most
obvious ones).

Other influencing factor are is the x-ray source and data recovery.

Personally (gut feeling rather then proofed experience), exposure to
water based solutions for weeks or even months surely damages the
specimens and weakens the tissues, and my next question would be what
happens will all those (dissolved) fats in the specimens if they are
immersed in water for such a long time. Also, Balint et al (2016) report
that over-staining can lead to deformation and tissue shrinkage .

The other method you mention, exposure to nearly 100% EtOH has just the
effects that you describe, and the question for me is what would happen
especially to those tissues near the body surface (e.g. in fish
increasing the EtOH strength may cause cell rupture in the scale pockets
and consequently may loosen the fish scales).

So it might be worth to explore two alternatives:

1. It might be worth to compare the imaging capacities of different
ct-scanners; colleagues at the MNHN Paris for example used the
synchroton in Geneva for imaging of or Lungfish larvae with amazing results.

2. You mentioned that targeted specimens in your collection were
preserved +100 yrs, some probably used pre-formalin fixatives. If this
is the case, it might be worth to test if any mercury salts have been
added. Balint et al (2016) mention, that "Mercury (II) chloride provide
the best contrast between different soft tissue types".

Around 1900, Mercury salts were not rarely added to enhance the "fixing"
properties of the ethanol. Perhaps some of your specimens have already
been treated with a contrast enhancing agent?

Hope this helps, even though it is not a direct answer to your question.
All the best
Dirk

Am 30.06.2017 um 19:59 schrieb Milensky, Christopher:

> [...]
> ETOH storage and soaked for weeks to months, depending on the size of
> the animal, in this water solution.  Pickled tissues (fixed in
> formalin and preserved in 70% ethanol) should remain pickled even
> after beingremoved from preservative due to the chemical changes that
> occur during fixation, and iodine prevents bacterial growth, but it
> still involves putting a pickled specimen in water for an extended
> period.
>
> I2E is elemental iodide dissolved in 100% ethanol (200 proof), which
> raises another set of issues for specimens stored in lower
> concentrations of ethanol. Increasing the concentration of ethanol
> further dehydrates and shrinks the specimen, but it has been found to
> be the most effective concentration of ethanol for staining soft tissues.
>
> So, the question is:  Would you rather have a specimen removed from
> 70% and stored in a water/iodine solution for weeks/months or stored
> in 100% ETOH for a similar period or neither?  What are the pro/cons
> of each?  Would you allow a specimen collected pre-1910, and
> presumably not fixed, go into water/iodine for a month or more?  Are
> you aware of other methods?
>
> I look forward to hearing your thoughts!
>
> Chris
>
> *Christopher Milensky*
>
> Collections Manager
>
> Division of Birds
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__vertebrates.si.edu_birds_&d=DwMFAg&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=LpYc_Z_iN1KRw0hheb3x6-8MJUMu482qfHowpGYJqwc&m=_ng57dMSlpRtwx104LoLynttAJTY-hHusbDzZvPHtcM&s=GUIwF2jcK-a5sAF-jpiFUFCe2_UmI54Q-akmUeSa6xE&e=>
>
> *w*202.633.0794 milenskyc at si.edu <mailto:milenskyc at si.edu>
>
> SMITHSONIAN INSTITUTION
>
> NATIONAL MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY
>
> Facebook
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.facebook.com_nmnh.fanpage_&d=DwMFAg&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=LpYc_Z_iN1KRw0hheb3x6-8MJUMu482qfHowpGYJqwc&m=_ng57dMSlpRtwx104LoLynttAJTY-hHusbDzZvPHtcM&s=X7g2ygbeq4Qk8rRPJNvvu2eiKjssqOkwDsEpSsYEtGQ&e=>|
>  Twitter
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__twitter.com_NMNH&d=DwMFAg&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=LpYc_Z_iN1KRw0hheb3x6-8MJUMu482qfHowpGYJqwc&m=_ng57dMSlpRtwx104LoLynttAJTY-hHusbDzZvPHtcM&s=KZVJ2cbz-SfsWP_fnu5OI09vzY7-qmmMTWRBriqgDX8&e=> |
> Instagram
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.instagram.com_smithsoniannmnh_&d=DwMFAg&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=LpYc_Z_iN1KRw0hheb3x6-8MJUMu482qfHowpGYJqwc&m=_ng57dMSlpRtwx104LoLynttAJTY-hHusbDzZvPHtcM&s=I7Q6DzgLwZ6q-fy1iRe8eLsvKV25KW_DrwWfIqKSlpQ&e=>__

> society. See https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.spnhc.org&d=DwID-g&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=LpYc_Z_iN1KRw0hheb3x6-8MJUMu482qfHowpGYJqwc&m=smGagMePxFozcXGKahjzLhpdcARsvbynio79hX7WTy8&s=edvqM1Sb3199E_wM8vxo71DdPBAgKCghsMENYkzpAyQ&e=  for membership information.

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Storage
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.zsm.mwn.de_ich_&d=DwID-g&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=LpYc_Z_iN1KRw0hheb3x6-8MJUMu482qfHowpGYJqwc&m=smGagMePxFozcXGKahjzLhpdcARsvbynio79hX7WTy8&s=yXNWVYw49-2AJ2lff06zPyzZUASyoxes-3sSGzIbo0Y&e=

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Storage
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at: